Community Advocates Rent Assistance Program
Milwaukee County paused rental assistance applications effective June 20, 2023.
Emergency Rental Assistance applications submitted by Milwaukee County tenants by June 20 are currently being processed.
The June 20 pause does not apply to Waukesha County tenants.
Waukesha County tenants, please go to "Apply for Rent Assistance Now" button on this page to complete your application.
Community Advocates administers federal and local funds to provide financial support for tenants in need in Milwaukee and Waukesha Counties. If you have experienced financial hardship during the Covid-19 pandemic and are behind on rent or utilities, you may be eligible to receive rental assistance. Please read the FAQ below to be sure that you meet the eligibility requirements, then click on the link to fill out an application on our safe and secure application portal. You can also pick up and drop off a hard copy application at our downtown office at 728 North James Lovell Street from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday. Waukesha County residents can pick up and drop off hard copy applications at these sites.
Our Emergency Rental Assistance Program is open to the public Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., at our downtown offices, 728 N. James Lovell St., Milwaukee. Or you can email us at email@example.com for more information about the application process.
The Milwaukee Rental Housing Resource Center Triage Team accepts walk-in appointments Monday-Friday 10 am-3 pm at Community Advocates, 728 N. James Lovell St., Milwaukee. The Triage Team can assess your situation and make referrals so you can get the help you need. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to learn more.
Please note that all services Community Advocates provides are free of charge, including rental assistance application processing. Under no circumstances should you be asked for payment for our services. If you are asked for payment in order to receive or fast-track services, please do not provide this information. Immediately contact our team at email@example.com.
1. Am I Eligible?
You are eligible for rental assistance if you meet the following requirements:
- Must live in Waukesha or Milwaukee County
- Must be a renter
- Must have an income lower than 80% of the area median income.
- Must have past-due rent
- Must either:
- Have experienced a loss or significant reduction of income or incurred significant expenses due directly or indirectly to the Covid-19 pandemic;
- OR qualify for unemployment benefits
- OR have experienced a loss of income in the last 60 days.
2. What Can Rental Assistance Cover?
- Up to 15 months of rental arrearages and/or rental assistance, plus an additional three months if the grantee determines the extra month increments are needed to ensure housing stability and grantee funds are available.
- Security deposit
- Utility and home energy costs, including internet. For utilities arrears, applicants must apply with the Home Energy Plus Program first.
3. What Documents Do I Need to Apply?
You will be asked to provide a photo or photocopy of the following documents:
- Driver’s license or state ID
- Documentation of any income you receive
- Proof of financial hardship (Click here to see acceptable forms of documentation.)
- Eviction notice or arrears statement. (Note: Community Advocates will reach out to your landlord if you cannot provide the arrears information at the time of application.)
4. What Are the Steps to Apply?
The Rental Assistance online application can be completed by tenants and landlords on a computer, tablet, or mobile device. The Rent Assistance Application can be found and submitted at this link.
You can save an incomplete application in your portal and come back to it at any time.
If you are not able to complete your application through these platforms you can come to our downtown offices located at 728 N. James Lovell Street, Milwaukee, WI, 53233 and pick up and drop off a hard copy application. Waukesha County residents can pick up and drop off hard copy applications at these sites.
If you need help or have questions you can contact a member of our team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting our downtown offices located at 728 N. James Lovell Street, Milwaukee.
5. How Long Will It Take for My Application to be Processed?
Our current turnaround time is 21-30 days. Additional time may be required if the case manager determines that your supporting documents need to be updated. To ensure that the process goes as smoothly as possible, please be sure to upload all of the required documents.
6. How Much Can a Household Receive?
Up to 12 months of rental arrearages and/or rental assistance, plus an additional three months if the grantee determines the extra month increments are needed to ensure housing stability and grantee funds are available.
7. If I Have Already Received Rental Assistance, Can I Reapply for Additional Assistance?
Yes! Please follow this link to our reapplication form.
8. How Will the Payment be Distributed?
Payments will be issued via check to the tenant’s landlord on their behalf.
9. What Support Services Does Community Advocates Provide?
As part of our application process, your Case Manager will assess your situation for case management services and other resources to further help stabilize your housing. In addition, as the host site for the new Milwaukee Rental Housing Resource Center, you can be connected to the triage team for additional referrals to mediation and legal services. Visit communityadvocates.net or renthelpmke.org for additional information on support services.
- If applicant has minor children and has not applied for emergency assistance with W-2 agency in the past 12 months, please follow this link to find out where to apply.